Tuesday, July 16, 2013

To Front Squat or To NOT Front Squat

Powerlifting involves three main lifts… SQUAT, bench press and deadlift.   Big numbers in back squatting pretty much indicates your manhood (only in the strength world).   Who wants chicken legs right?   I agree to a degree.  I don’t think the back squat is a be-all exercise though.  Here’s why…

I watch Youtube videos of a great strength coach Elliot Hulse a lot.   He has a no nonsense approach to “being a stronger version of yourself” and has many videos online.   He is a successful businessman, trainer and strength athlete.  Those are three great reasons to believe what he says.  

One video hit me and it was about front squatting.  He explains that back squatting is great BUT front squats are better for athletes.  I will post the link to the video but first I want to explain why it hit me so hard…

A few years ago I decided on my own that I was going to replace regular back squats for front squats.  I felt I could keep a more upright position and go deeper while squatting and really get a killer ab workout in without stupid crunches.   Actually, my legs and core were more sore than doing back squats and a more direct abdominal exercise. 

I hammered away at fronts for months and months.  Every once in awhile I would add some progressively heavier singles of back squats AFTER my front squatting sets.  I started competing in Strongman and had the idea of doing a powerlifting meet in my head so I wanted to keep the ‘groove’ on my back squats.  Simple.

One day I was curious and wanted to see what my back squat max was and started working my way up.  All alone in the local gym’s power rack I got up and smoked a 485lbs squat!   I know… Nothing crazy…BUT I didn’t do endless sets of back squatting to get there.  I went from a 405lbs struggle to a solid 485lbs.   Why?  I fixed my weak points.  The weight of the bar did not crush me as the weights got heavier because my core and upper back were so much stronger.   I was able to go deeper so I had stronger hamstrings. 

Speaking of stronger hamstrings, what happens when you increase their strength? STRONGER deadlift!   Many people train squats and deadlifts on the same day but I found deadlifting and back squatting on one day just too taxing.  One or the other would suffer depending on the order of exercises that day.  I am now back to FRONT squatting on it’s own day and deadlifting on it’s own as well.  Result? My back gets more rest after deadlift day and I still can blast my quads and increase their strength for stuff like transport pulling.  Front squats have an extreme functional carryover and also fix your weak areas. 

Check the Elliot Hulse video here … it has even more info than my experience with front squats! (more scientific too)

And of course… follow each workout with some BCAA’s and NutriWhey!!

Stay “ALL NATTY” folks, your goals can be reached naturally!!

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment