Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting to Know Team Cygen: Angela Doucette

So for those of you who don't know who Angela Doucette is...well....she is a women who wears many hats such as national level figure competitor, super mom and wife to fellow Team Cygen Athlete Steve Doucette....and she's damn good at all of it too! 

Hi Angela Lets start off by telling us a bit about yourself?

I am a National Level Figure competitor originally from Ontario but now residing in Nova Scotia. I am currently a stay at home Mommy of two young children. I have been training for almost 15 years and enjoy researching all aspects of health and fitness. I started competing as a fitness model and made the progression to the sport of figure as I added more muscle to my frame over the years.

Well thanks for taking the time my fellow Ontario-ite (I think...) so what made you get into the sport?

I was diagnosed with Ankolosying Spondilitis when I was 20. After some research it seemed strengthening muscles and staying healthy helped the symptoms and progression of the disease. I joined a gym and quickly became addicted to changing my physique. I was approached by a few competitors and trainers who introduced me to the sport and I competed for the first time in 2004.

That’s a very inspiring story!! Since then tell me some accomplishments you’ve had in the sport?

So many great things have come from competing. When I competed as a fitness model I had the opportunity to work with many great photographers, even landing a photo on the cover of a Harlequin Magazine cover once!

Winning my first figure overall title at the Nova Scotia provincials was very exciting but most of all improving on my physique and overall health are better than any trophy I could ever win.

I also thrive off helping others in the sport and being a role model for anyone living or interested in living a healthy lifestyle.

Tell me a typical day for you when you are training?

I am up at 6:30 with kids. Get them fed, packed and off to the gym with them around 9 or 10am. They play at the gym child care centre while I train. I am in the gym about 1 hour and 15 minutes then pack the kids up and go back home for lunch. The rest of day is spent running errands, attending play groups, prepping meals, and cleaning up. After both kids are in bed it's cardio time. I have a spin bike and my trusted Precor elliptical trainer that I use while catching up on TV shows or watching movies. After that it's a quick protein meal and off the bed.

Super mom by day and Elite athlete by night!! Ok now give us a quick breakdown of your workouts and schedule…

This changes quite frequently (I get bored easily). I just finished a month of cardio/circuit type training with light weights and high heart rates. The goal was to improve my overall fitness, give my body a bit of a rest and all the cardio allowed me to treat myself a little more often with all the summer get together’s and party's.

Now I have switched to heavy (max weights) training again. I have a one day on, one day off rotation for the next month. I have a six day rotation:

Day 1 - Bench (chest, shoulders)
Day 2 - 35 min's cardio
Day 3 - Squat (legs, calves)
Day 4 - 35 min's cardio
Day 5 - Deadlift (back)
Day 6 - Off

Onseason, the 10 weeks before a competition, I change this rotation to 3 days on, 1 day off and I don't lift to my max weights.

When you are not training, what do you enjoy doing?

I love spending time with my family, shopping, and reading.

When are you are training, what does your diet consist off?

Mostly protein and fat with some carbs to fuel work outs:

Same old chicken, turkey, beef, veggies, fruit, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, oatmeal, and rice as everyone else.

Sounds pretty standard. If you can have 1 cheat meal, what would it be?

Spaghetti and meatballs with cheesecake for dessert

Awesome...so switching speeds, What is currently in your supplement cabinet?

Cygen Multi Pack, Cygen Fish Oil, Vit C, E, and Calcium
Iso 90 and Nutriwhey, Creatine, Decimate, Anabolic Link, BCAA’s, Glutamine

When do you take them?

All day pretty much, usually with each meal.

Finally, what’s next for you?

Atlantic Championships in New Brunswick and the World Qualifier National event both in the spring of 2013.

I would like to thank Angela for taking the time out of her busy schedule to share with us the day and life of Angela Doucette. Make sure to check her out in the Atlantic Championships and support the Team Cygen Athletes.


No comments:

Post a Comment