Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What Would You Do for a 50-Cent Trophy?

In her first article for Cygen Labs, sponsored athlete and National Level Figure Competitor Angela Doucette shares her feelings on the motives of many up and coming physique competitors, and the lengths that many people will go to in order to succeed in the sport that she's so passionate about.

By: Angela Doucette

It has been a long time since I’ve heard a new bodybuilder or figure competitor say they compete for themselves, their health, or just because they love it. It seems these days everyone thinks they deserve to be a “pro” and some will do just about anything to get there.

When I started competing in 2004 I had been following the sport of bodybuilding for 5 or 6 years. I knew all the big names in the business and loved reading about them, and their training/diet methods as presented in magazines. The first time I was in the audience of a local OPA show in 2002, I knew I would one day grace that stage. Two years later I did just that. I never expected to win or even really knew what turning “pro” meant. I did that show for myself and fell in love with the process. Watching my body transform day to day amazed me. I felt so in control of my body and my mind.

I am often approached by girls who have competed once at a local show or by girls looking to get into the competitive scene for guidance. I truly love to help people and I have a passion for this lifestyle but sometimes people are competing for all the wrong reasons. Some come right out and ask what drugs they need to take or ask if getting plastic surgery is essential to win. Really??? It amazes me how far people will go for one night in the spotlight and a 50 cent trophy.



This sport can be healthy for the mind and soul but if taken too far or too seriously it can take over your life and cloud your judgment. I can’t tell you how much it saddens me to read stories of divorce, financial problems, family issues, body image issues, depression, and irreversible drug use related side effects due to taking this sport too seriously and too far. Some days I want to disassociate myself from this sport but I know there is still good out there. When I compete at local or national level events and reacquaint with veteran competitors I am reminded there are many athletes out there just like me. Competitors who are teachers, lawyers, engineers, mothers, police officers, students…and we all talk about our careers and families and I realize this is a passion and lifestyle I share with many confident, successful and beautiful strong women.

This sport is a hobby for most. Only a handful of athletes make a living directly from this sport. So, please be realistic and careful. It can be easy to get caught up in the vain madness this sport can evoke. Personally I am a wife and mother first and foremost and before making any decision I ask myself “would I want my daughter to do that”?

1 comment:

  1. Very good article!! People never understand why I'm not sure if I want to compete. It's like a no-brainer to them and they don't understand why I am not sure. I'm a single mom to 3 kids who just loves to lift. If I want to compete one day, I will... but on my terms and not at the cost of having my kids go without because mommy wants to do a competition!

    ReplyDelete